David C. Gorczynski, of Pennsylvania’s Occupy movements, was arrested and charged with two felonies for holding two signs: one saying “You’re being robbed” and another that said “Give a man a gun, he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob a country.” Gorczunski is being charged with bank robbery and “terroristic threatening”. He was released on $10,000 bail. Felonies for Free Speech.
What Bill of Rights?
(Source: , via the-flame-imperishable)
"[W]hat’s not up for debate in this election is the continuation of the post-911 security state Bush instituted and Obama expanded. No matter who wins tomorrow, that state aparatus will continue to roll right along, because no-one in the corriders of power – industrialists, mainstream media or politicians – has any good short-term reason to do otherwise. The only losers are we the mooks, at home and abroad, who lose lives and liberty."
New Poster From The Department of Homeland Security
Otherwise you’re a threat to the nation and you will arrested and detained without charge. You might also get your weapon license revoked because we determine you to be of unsound mind.
"This country was built on gangs. This country is still running on gangs. Republicans, democrats, the police department, the FBI, the CIA. Those are gangs."
Tupac Shakur (via haereticum)
Outside Anaheim Police Department today. You might remember these officers from earlier in the week when they fired rubber bullets and released an attack dog on a protesting crowd (and then tried to buy evidence off the victims).
“Dress cops up as soldiers, give them military equipment, train them in military tactics, tell them they’re fighting a “war,” and the consequences are predictable.” — Radley Balko
10 Facts That Prove America Is A Police State:
- With only 5% of the world’s population, US has 25% of world’s prison population.
- China, which has a population 4 times larger than that of the United States, comes in second with 14% of the world’s incarcerated population.
- More than 1 in every 100 American adults are incarcerated, the highest incarceration rate in the world.
- When divided by race, 1 in 106 white men are incarcerated while 1 in 36 Hispanic men, 1 in 15 black men and 1 in 9 for black men ages 20-34 are behind bars.
- It costs an average of $23,876 per year to incarcerate one inmate. That is more than twice the combined amount it costs to provide healthcare and education to one American.
- The United States spent $44 billion in tax dollars in 2007 on corrections.
- U.S. incarceration rates are significantly larger than those in any other liberal democracy.
- While violent crime decreased, incarceration rates sharply increased.
- Half of all inmates in state prisons are behind bars for non-violent offenses.
- If you include jails, 60 percent of inmates are nonviolent offenders.
"Think about that: if you expose to the world previously unknown evidence of widespread wanton killing of civilians (as Manning allegedly did), then you will end up in the same place as someone who actually engages in the mass wanton killing of civilians (as Bales allegedly did), except that the one who committed atrocities will receive better treatment than the one who exposed them. That’s a nice reflection of our government’s value system (similar to the way that high government officials who commit egregious crimes are immunized, while those who expose them are aggressively prosecuted). If the chat logs are to be believed, Manning decided to leak those documents because they revealed heinous war crimes that he could no longer in good conscience allow to be concealed, and he will now find himself next to a soldier who is accused of committing heinous war crimes."